Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Move "Sum" function in Summarize tool

The sum function is probably the one I use most in the summarize tool. It is a silly thing, but it would be nice for "Sum" to be in the single-click list, rather than in the "Numeric" category...

Move sum functionMove sum function

11 Comments
GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I agree Tom. We are looking at ways to make the Summarize tool more intuitive, and this is definitely on the list.

Geoff Jones

Director of Creative Services

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think it would be great if the top list was dynamic based on the fields that were selected. 

If you have chosen a set of numeric fields would be great if list included average and sum for example, if string then promote the string operations automatically.

simon
11 - Bolide

Agree on sum but also add average!

Doesn't Alteryx collect tool usage so they can probably tell which tools and functions are used most and make them more accessible?

KathyD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi  Simon ~ 

Thanks for adding your vote! Yes  - for customers who opt -in, we do collect tool usage information and  use this together with direct customer feedback from site visits, interviews, and the community  to help drive design decisions. 

Look for some improvements to the  Summarize tool in the near future!

Cheers~

Kath 

UX Designer

adrianloong
11 - Bolide

Totally agree, this is one of the most used functions in alteryx (sum). Would be great to have it up the top

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

This update will be available with the upcoming 10.5 release.  Thanks everyone for your input.

njn
5 - Atom

Thank you, @BenG!

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can the Sum function be listed in both the Numeric category and the top level?  I was on a call where someone was searching the numeric category for "Sum" for what seemed like 30+ seconds.  Now that I know where it is, it'll probably be no problem for me, but it's not intuitive.  Also, as someone who has to go back and forth between 10.5, 10.1, and even 8.6, it would be nice to consistently find Sum in the Numeric category.

cbridges
11 - Bolide

I agree with @JeffF