Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Move Visual Layout tool out of Beta

Hello!

Currently, the Visual Layout tool (as opposed to the Layout tool) is in a Beta version and has been since I have been using Alteryx. 

I think it's a fantastic tool for (as in the name) visually laying out your reporting tools. I find the original layout tool difficult to use without great attention to detail, and it can cost a lot of time when building report-based workflows.

It would be great to get the Visual Layout tool out of Beta, similar to a lot of the other Laboratory tools (https://help.alteryx.com/20221/designer/laboratory), and increase confidence in using the tool. It is currently hard to suggest using the tool to Alteryx users, as 'BETA' creates apprehension of bugs and unstable functionality.

Thanks,
TheOC

7 Comments
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

+1 to @TheOC's suggestion.

Please bring this tool out of beta version! I strongly prefer the UX in this tool when placing multiple report components vs. stacking multiple horizontal/vertical layouts.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

P.S. Please also bring Make Columns out of beta.

I posted an idea on this here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Make-Columns-Tool-Add-an-Example-Workflow-to...

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Nice @TheOC !

The usual report tools work, but it would be much better if they could do the same thing in a more visual way. This tool lets me do that, and from what I've seen so far, it sometimes has a few bugs but usually works fine, which makes me think that it's probably close to being done or is done.

Reviewing this tool so that it can be released as official instead of in beta sounds like a quick win to me.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @marcusblackhill 
Agreed!
I'll be honest, I've had a couple of issues with it in the past of it forgetting my configuration which i put down to it being a beta tool, however the time it saved to use that tool rather than the default layout tool, meant I could break and fix it in the time it would have taken to build the report using the layout tool.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

imaran_669
8 - Asteroid

+1 this tool is great. I have used it extensively and works like a charm. The only downside is the annoying msg you get when you use it that makes your workflows get flagged like "Warning" when it’s not an issue at all. 

"Warning: Visual Layout (21): The Visual Layout tool currently does not handle placement of grouped elements or elements containing multiple records."

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Please!