Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Metadata in "Publish to Tableau Server" Tool

Tableau allows users to do three very useful things to make data more usable for end users, but this functionality is not available with the Publish To Tableau Server tool.

Foldering of dimensions/measures

Folders.jpg

Creating hierarchies out of dimensions

Hierarchy.jpg

Adding custom comments to fields that are visible to users when they hover

Comment.jpg

This functionality allows subject matter experts to create data sources that can be easily understood by everyone within their organizations.  

Please "star" this idea if you would like to see functionality in Alteryx that would enable you to create a metadata layer in the "Publish to Tableau Server" tool or in an accompanying tool.

9 Comments
mcoles
5 - Atom

The ability to structure metadata around the raw data we have in Tableau extracts on our server is important to make data easier for consumers to approach. Up-starr'd!

phillipc
5 - Atom

This would be really useful!  We're doing a complex workaround for this right now and it would be nice to not have to do that.  

michael_lynton
6 - Meteoroid

It's great to publish complex flows direct to Tableau Server. But the lack of metadata is going to hurt the more I get into this ....

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Because there's a need for this across our customer base, we're currently evaluating effort and feasibility and hope to get this on the roadmap soon.

Best,

Alex

adowsett
5 - Atom

That's great news, I hope this will be a quick turnaround.

The lack of capability is preventing me from using the tool for any data where the users require comments or organisation of dimensions, so I have to implement inefficient workarounds in Tableau instead of only using Alteryx.  E.g. Alteryx outputs to Excel, build data source with additional organisation/comments in Tableau Desktop, publish and schedule extracts in Tableau Server

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

Thanks so much for starring this idea. We are in the research stage of this and want to make sure we understand all details of this ask. Please send me a message if you're wiling to get on a quick call so that I can ask a few more questions around this functionality!

Best,

Alex

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

In Q2, we'll allow the user to publish a tds file as part of their publish to tableau server workflow so that the metadata can be retained. This will be our first step towards allowing metadata to be published.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

We now allow users to publish tdsx files containing their metadata as part of the Publish to Tableau Server functionality!

supputur
5 - Atom

Hi Team, 

I am very new to the Alterx, i want to create my Tableau extract in Alteryx and need to publish every day wise with breaking my Tableau data source folder structure. 

Can you please let us know how we can do in Alteryx, if you have any sample workflow please share to me.