Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make field renaming in Summarize Tool optional

Issue

Whenever a Summarize tool is used, it renames the output field (e.g., sales becomes SUM_sales or AVG_sales).  

Proposal

I think a reasonable compromise is to by default not rename fields in the Summarize Tool, but to include an option (in the tool, or in global settings) to allow for renaming.

Rationale

I have yet to come across a use case where automatic renaming of aggregated fields is desirable. What I have come across is the annoyance to rename the fields back to what they were with a Dynamic Rename tool, and sometimes having to do this multiple times (e.g., converting back a SUM_SUM_SUM_sales back to sales). Additionally, automatic field renaming causes workflow errors when workflows are later modified by adding/removing a Summarize tool (e.g., if you later add a Summarize tool, all downstream steps will expect the "sales" field and not know to use the "Sum_sales field). 

Automatic Renaming feels very much like historic Excel with Pivot Tables field renaming and not reflective of modern code-based workflow best practices.

I appreciate you considering this improvement.

5 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great idea! I think a toggle in the tool would be ideal to handle this, with the default being to not rename like you suggest. 

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

Even better - wouldn't it be awesome if the Summarize tool had an interface similar to the Select tool @schaferc  @patrick_digan !

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

SUM_SUM_SUM_SUM_SUM_SUM_sales  😑 when I see this in a dataset, I automatically know it is coming from alteryx.

A simple check box would be enough and easier to handle between versions I think, but I like all the suggestions!

Shifty
12 - Quasar

I actually find it useful that it renames the field but I can understand your frustration if you're always having to convert it back.  I agree with @jacob_kahn - a true embedded Select function would be best.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes