Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make copy functionality in rename option copy only the new field name

In the tools that embed the "Rename" option (Select, Append Fields, Join, Join Multiple), copying the new name will copy all the information of the field configuration : tick/untick, original field name, type, size, new name and description.

Renaming the field "Rename_Field"Renaming the field "Rename_Field"

Capture2.PNG

In my opinion, it should copy only the new name. This would be useful, especially because when you change the name of a field, it isn't automatically changed in subsequent tools, so copying it to replace it in those tools is faster than retyping it every time.

14 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree! For the time being, my experience has been that when you right click and choose copy, it just captures the field name:

patrick_digan_0-1660669736569.png

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I should have precised it is using keyboard shortcut.

Thank you for the precision @patrick_digan !

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

So annoying!  This should be an easy fix I'd think!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I think this makes complete sense and would be quite helpful! 

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Yes! So many times I’ve copied it only to get all the extra meta data and then need to delete it!

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Should be simple but I agree it's annoying!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

So annoying. Use the keyboard shortcut to do this is almost automatic. Would be appreciated to improve that.

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Yes, please! I have made this mistake many times. Thanks for the workaround, @patrick_digan!

Taylor_S
8 - Asteroid

Yes! I've done this so many times not meaning to because using keyboard shortcuts is an involuntary impulse at this point. A fix that focuses only the text box would be lovely!