Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make Tools easier to find and download - the current Gallery method does not work

Hi Alteryx

I understand why you need to keep bloat away from the product and have tools available to download instead, it means you can iterate and update them outside the usual cadence cycles. But please, for the love of everything holy, make it easier to find them and download them.

Let me give you an example of downloading the Google Sheets Input Tool:

1. I type in the amazing search and find a help article on it, so far so good:

chris_love_0-1610126485472.png

2. I am pointed to the Gallery:

chris_love_1-1610126545137.png

3. I click but where do I look? I need to revert to the tiny search in the top left. This isn't obvious for new users

chris_love_2-1610126596700.png

4. but the search doesn't come top, how some of these search results get in above what I need I have no idea. I get to page 4 before I see something that looks like what I need before I realise it is a third party tool having installed it. I come back, can't find the tool and so give up. If it's there somewhere then it needs to be more obvious.

chris_love_3-1610126678221.png

5. I google - I finally find (third item) something that's more useful but only because I know what I'm looking for

chris_love_4-1610126812828.png

6. I run the workflow, then run it again as per the instructions. At this point I'm losing the will to live tbh.

chris_love_5-1610126885097.png

7. Finally something that looks useful, I bang the huge download button twice and wonder why it didn't work.

chris_love_6-1610126951631.png

9. I read the text and realise I need to click the link - finally I have the installer.

That was a five minute job. It was painful. And I'm a seasoned Alteryx user. If I was a new user, I'd have given up at step 2 or 3.

But what was the thing I downloaded in Step 8? A set of release notes and links....why aren't these simply added to the help article I found in Step 1/2? It would surely be easier for you, and would be a whole lot easier for users. Why do we need this painful process?

Please please please make it easier for me to install new tools.

5 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

OMG Yes please. The Gallery Search Functionality is abysmal.

CesarPicco
7 - Meteor

This process has never been easy.  It always seemed like you needed to know someone, who knows someone, who knows the secret handshake that get's you a link to some out of date thread. By piecing it together bit by bit it magically works. It's a Google Sheet's connector so many people use this, happy to vote up.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you all for your feedback!

It's not often we get feedback on our public Gallery, but it is greatly appreciated when we do! This idea also does a great job out outlining the use case and request, and we appreciate that time put into posting so we can streamline requests to review as quickly and efficiently as possible. Be sure to share this idea as well as it would be super helpful to see the impact of an update like this!

jdrummey
9 - Comet

I totally agree this is too complicated... I just went through this issue yesterday trying to find & download a tool from the Gallery where the Run/Run/Download didn't work (I never got a Download link) and luckily the .yxi was on Github.

Jonathan

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes