Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tool Container -- Fixed size option

I really like the Tool Container. I also really like to have neat and tidy modules. Sometimes though, the two are in conflict because the Tool Container automatically sizes itself so I end up playing around with tool placement to get my containers the same.

Could you please add the option to make the Tool Container a sizeable object (like the Explorer Box) or give width and height value boxes in the tool properties?

5 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar
Tool containers are great for organising complex modules and for disabling processes in modules. However they take up so much space on the canvas!

When trying to create a neat module Tool containers are frustating as they have such a large blank space between the border and the nearest tool.

A  minor issue, but it would be great if you could significantly reduce this 'blank' space or allow the user to change the size of the tool container (like the comments box).

Thanks,
Joe
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Joe,

Check out the Margin option on the Tool Containers properties.  I think it might do what you want.

Adam
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar
Doh! Silly me! Thanks Adam!
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

As a workaround, I found that I can fix the size using dummy comments inside the tool; in this screenshot, the two gray bars are just very narrow comments, forcing the container to expand as far as I want it.

Capture.PNG

But agreed - it would be WAY nicer to just be able to resize the container itself.

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

I was looking for this! I just want them to match in size so my workflows look more appealing!