Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Make Columns Tool: Add an Example Workflow to Designer and add to the Transform Category

I was just responding to a post about the Make Columns tool, and I noticed that there is not an example workflow for this tool built into Designer. It is also missing from the Transform category, so I never think of it.

Capture.JPG

2022-06-11_16-16-12.png

@peyton-louden @binuacs @Luke_C 

7 Comments
marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I feel like Alteryx is putting most Laboratory tools on the side right now. For example, the Visual layout would be a good way to make reports quickly, but it has been in Beta for a long time.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Ah, yes. I didn't realize Make Columns was a laboratory tool. Seems that it's been that way since at least 2017?

marcusblackhill
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I'm not sure when, @ddiesel, but you're probably correct. 😕

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Great idea - i think the Laboratory tools need some love. As @marcusblackhill mentions, there is also the beta visual layout tool. I recently made an idea to get this out of Beta/Laboratory https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Move-Visual-Layout-tool-out-of-Beta/idi-p/94... 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Super idea @ddiesel , most folks don't even know it exists!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Great observation @ddiesel 

And you make a good point - if something is in the laboratory - there's an implied expectation that this is a time-limited experiment (as the name would imply) and that these tools will then graduate to the main tabs.

cc: @NicoleJ