Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Maintain User Settings after Upgrade install

I just upgraded to the new Alteryx 8.6 which I'm looking forward to using, however, it is quite frustrating that none of my customized user settings are maintained during the install process. I make a few customizations:

• Vertical layout
  • Showing the grid and the XML
  • Turning off the "module complete" pop-up
  • My 'panes' where I put them
  • A few favorite tools in the "Favorites" toolbar

And there are so many other customizations that I don't go near (but might if they were maintained during upgrade), like:

• Default temporary path and Logging
  • Dataset defaults
  • Zoom levels
  • Startup page & Distance units

Please implement a way of maintaining these settings!!

5 Comments
GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Tom,

We sometimes have to overwrite some User Settings when a new release includes a new feature or related change, but this was not the case with the 8.5 to 8.6 update. It was a mistake and I am sorry for the frustration that it caused.

If you haven't already reconfigured everything, you should be able to find your old 8.5 UserSettings file in a location similar to this: C:UsersgjonesAppDataRoamingAlteryxEngine8.5. If you copy the 8.5 UserSettings file into the 8.6 folder, it should fix things for you.

Again, though I apologize. We are taking steps to address this for our next release.

Geoff Jones
Alteryx, Inc
Product Manager – User Experience

Great one Tom! I always thought the same thing. It's nice, though, to know that there is a way to restore your old settings!

Dan Chapman
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

I was refering in an other post to have a macro repository working just like itunes or appstore loading into Alteryx directy...

When you upgrade or buy a new license for your company all frequently used macros will be synced as well.

How about the came centralised idea that stores your config given your community user name so that when you

recover or upgrade with using the login info we could be able to gain our config set back...

Hope to hear your thoughts...

Best

Altan

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Cleaning up some older Ideas - this one has been implemented for a while now! 😁