The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Let Question Constants be used like Engine and User Constants in Formula, Filter, etc.

Whenever I add an interface tool, it adds a constant just like the 4 engine constants and any user constants. It would be useful if tools like the formula and filter automatically added question constants to the list for you to use. This would be identical to how user constants behave currently. Here is the before and after for visual effect:

BEFORE:

Capture.PNG

AFTER:

Capture2.PNG

16 Comments
TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

We will take another look at this. We are currently doing some work on Formulas so it's possible that this could fit in with that. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@TonyaS  Thanks for the update!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I would still love for this idea to be implemented! I was introducing a new user to interface tools, and I think this would make them a little easier to work with.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@patrick_digan - I can't agree more - since I learned about this hidden workflow variable from you, it's become a critical part of the way we build Macros.    Making this visible to users would make life easier for dozens of people without them having to trip over this capability by accident!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Now that the new formula tool is several years old - it seems that we should be in a good place to look at the minor change to include input values as workflow variables as @patrick_digan suggested. 

Given the desire to make it easier for people to use interface tools, I'd think this is one of those easy wins that could help to make this more approachable!

aiahwieder
8 - Asteroid

Hi! Upvoting this again, because although the workaround approach works like a dream (especially with AMP enabled, for some reason?), Question Constants are not available for use in Formulas on Action tools. I've got a use case, for instance, where an app has an optional input, and when the filepath isn't supplied, I'd like to disable a container AND (sorry, @patrick_digan) update a Detour elsewhere in the workflow based on whether the filepath Question is null. But only the engine constants are available in that Formula configuration.