The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Keyboard Mapping Bug - Results Panel -> Ctrl+Alt+*O*, not R

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for a bug report, but I just solved one that has been bugging me for ages. Of the six key commands to hide and reveal the various panels, only five work, and now I know why.

Apparently the 'Results' panel used to be the 'Output' panel? I found some outdated docs that mentioned Crtl + Alt + O to open/hide the Output panel. Sure enough, the reason Ctrl + Alt + R doesn't work in the current version is that, in spite of what the menu text says, it's O that is still mapped to that panel, and not R.

I only discovered this after making sure none of my other installed apps were stealing that key combination. Thank you, process of elimination.

7 Comments
GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Daniel,

Can you tell us which version you are using?

With 10.0, we changed the name of the Output Window to "Results Window" (because it shows both the input and output results for each tool).

We changed the primary shortcut to Ctrl+Alt+R, but we left in the old shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+O) for the benefit of folks who were used to it.

We just double-checked both shortcuts in the latest 10.0 release and both are working for us.

I'd love to help you get to the bottom of this and find out why they aren't working for you.

Geoff

daniel_mmi
9 - Comet

Curious. I'm in 10.0.9.58949.

The Crtl+Alt+O combination works just fine, but the menu selection mentions Ctrl+Alt+R, which doesn't.

GeoffJ
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks Daniel,

I forwarded this to our QA department for further investigation.

Geoff

KatieA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Good morning, Daniel.

I am a member of the QA department.

I have been looking into this and found a couple of things.

Ctrl+Alt+R is a Windows Magnifier keyboard shortcut. If the Magnifier is running then the Ctrl+Alt+R keyboard shortcut does not work in Alteryx.

I assigned the Ctrl+Alt+R shortcut to a couple of apps in my environment and was able to get Ctrl+Alt+R to not work in Alteryx but it was obvious that the shortcut was assigned to other apps because they would open.

I looked for a tool to be able to see all of the global custom keyboard shortcuts that a user has installed on their machine because it sounds like something else in your environment may be using the shortcut and not allowing Alteryx to use it.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-show-list-of-global-custom...

I tested 10.0.9.58949 in Windows 7, 8, and 10 and was not able to reproduce without purposely getting in the way.

Please let me know if I can help any further.

Katie

daniel_mmi
9 - Comet

Way to go, Katie! That totally got it.

Following that link, I downloaded the free 'Hotkey Explorer', and sure enough, the culprit was RocketDock. Ctrl+Alt+R hides and reveals the launcher, apparently. With that application closed, I can confirm that *both* Ctrl+Alt+R and Ctrl+Alt+O bring up the results pane.

Thanks!

-Daniel

KatieA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Daniel,

That is fantastic news! Thank you for letting us know.

Katie

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented