Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Interactive Chart - Data Labels & Secondary Axis

The new Interactive Chart is a great tool that I've been using. A big improvement to it would be to allow a secondary axis, as well as allowing data points to show on the chart. I have attached a sample chart that was created in Excel. 

10 Comments
francic3
6 - Meteoroid

So you can't show data points on the chart?  Boooo.

That is really big missing feature.

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

[Edited to add: apparently this (adding data labels) is already on the roadmap! https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Interactive-Chart-Tool-add-data-labels...]

Yes, it would be great to add data labels to a bar chart in the Interactive Chart Tool! This was possible in the deprecated Charting Tool.

• Labeling bar charts makes them easier to read (rather than estimating the length of a bar that is not next to the axis)
  • Adding labels reduces clutter on the chart by allowing us to remove gridlines and axes

I'd like to be able to replicate is something like this:

Bar chart with labels.png

Tbrown9
5 - Atom

Has there been any movement on this?  Really basic feature to be missing this long, especially since it was on the previous version of the charting tool. 

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

As of now I conclude that weekly challenge #76 is officially impossible as the original charting tool has been deprecated... A pity really... I'll just stick with Tableau for visualisations then

JH123
7 - Meteor

I second, the ability to add a secondary axis and visible data points is definitely needed!

DataG8
8 - Asteroid

Adding my vote for secondary axis, I will always add my vote when I move out of Alteryx to Excel.

michaelhanggi
5 - Atom

I saw this note on the update for 2019.3:

clipboard_image_0.png

However, after updating to the latest version I can't figure out how to add the second y-axis.

gkakarlapudi
Alteryx
Alteryx

For those of you following this thread, in 19.3 Designer release, users are now able to add labels to charts. You will find it on the Style>Layer page.

Also there is now an option to use the secondary y-axis, please refer to the following screenshot. 

Secondary Y-Axis.png

Please download the latest 19.3 release and let us know how you like this functionality.

DSolomon
5 - Atom

I figured out this work around. First make your line graph and then add a second layer as a bar chart and add in the labels and then under the bar chart layer menu, set the Opacity to 0%. This will hide the bar chart but keep the labels of it.  Not being able to label a line graph is a huge problem.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes