Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Input Tool Should Recognize Excel Named Tables

Presently when mapping an Excel file to an input tool the tool only recognizes sheets it does not recognize named tables (ranges) as possible inputs. When using PowerBI to read Excel inputs I can select either sheets or named ranges as input. Alteryx input tool should do the same.

6 Comments
ExperTeece
5 - Atom

It was just pointed out to me by a co-worker that Alteryx does recognize a Named Range as a possible input it does not however recognize Named Tables. Both show up in the Name Manager list of Excel but only Named Ranges show up as choices in the Alteryx Input Tool table list the tables do not. Adding screenshots of an Excel file showing the Name Manager list and what is visible in the table view of that file assigned to an Alteryx Input Tool. You can see that a Excel named range is on the list but none of the Excel tables are.

Alteryx View.JPGNamed Ranges.JPG

shoesnsocks4
7 - Meteor

Just confirmed that this functionality is not available in 2018.2.  It would be a useful added feature.

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

mmcoll
6 - Meteoroid

This would be extremely useful for me to input and output data in excel.

DQAUDIT
9 - Comet

I like this idea.  While I understand you can create formulas to make named ranges dynamic, Excel Tables makes that even easier.