Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Input Tool (2018.1) Excel Range Feature Removed

A recent post solution (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Can-somebody-tell-me-where-is-quot-Choose...) by @patrick_digan alerted me to a loss of functionality of the Input Tool.  In order to define a range of data via SQL to Excel (e.g. Sheet3$A1:C10) you need to know a work-around instead of just modifying the SQL.  The work-around is to modify the XML.  I would like to see that functionality returned to the Input tool.

Cheers,

Mark

22 Comments
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@patrick_digan - makes sense. I'll investigate and try to understand why that was removed....

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

I've opened this idea back up for review. We're moving away from edits to the connection string, so we'll look at a better way for users to quickly specify/modify a custom range.

rafalucia
5 - Atom

@AlexP  Any update? I am interested too.

Thanks

Annika
5 - Atom

@

How can I select specific columns from Excel that are not next to each other eg A1:A20;C1:C20 (excluding column B) in the input tool?

thanks!

james204
8 - Asteroid
@Annika wrote:

@

How can I select specific columns from Excel that are not next to each other eg A1:A20;C1:C20 (excluding column B) in the input tool?

thanks!

I would also like to know this!

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I've just found this thread (& still recovering from the shock that this feature has been removed).  This will be really bad news for one of my clients, they use this feature a lot (they also only upgrade once per year so they haven't found out about it yet)

manion72
7 - Meteor
Hi @patrick_digan, @ARich, Hopefully to help other newbies having an issue with the exact syntax of this workaround, for me at least one vertical pipe ( | ) seems to be required between filename and sheet name, with single quotes around sheet name. Clicking on "Refresh" in Input Data tool will then update box 3. Ex: File1.xlsx|'Sheet1$A2:B2' Thanks :) Michael M.
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great tip, @manion72! Thanks so much for posting.

tsmit593
5 - Atom

To add to what @manion72 shared, if you need a query instead of just a range, the following format worked for me. This was a very simple query, but that is how my customer wanted it, and I imagine it would work with more complex queries as well.

C:\FilePath\Example 2019-1.xlsx|SELECT * FROM 'Example 2019-1$C12:F25'

Regardless of how hard it was to find, this post saved myself and my customers tons of time!

Thanks

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Thank you for suggesting this! The ability to specify a range will be a part of the Excel input/output dialog in an upcoming release. Until then, you can continue to use this functionality by typing it in manually as described in previous comments.