The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Input/Output Tool - Improve Excel Select range (2020.1)

I didn't know I want the Excel "Select a range (cells, rows or columsn" feature before it dropped, but now that we have it, it's time to make it  awesome.

There are two things that really need to improve to make this tool awesome:

1) Allow to fill out only one parameter

grossal_0-1583675733645.png

The typical use case for this tool should look like this. You have some unnecessary header rows and columns -> the data is shifted.

We want to build a flow that only selects our data columns in the middle, but the length of these columns can change, so it's a BIG NO to select just a range from D4 to G13. Nobody knows if the next report will have the same length. We can't risk to cut-off the last rows.

This is also import for the output feature. We usually don't know if we'll write 10, 20 or hundreds of data rows. To make this feature useable, we really need to be able to specify just one cell. The cell range is a nice on top feature, but it shouldn't be the requirement.

I also see an option for something like D4:G. This would be a syntax with two fields, but the G doesn't need a number and therefore says "till data ends".

In the current state of the tool, it's better to use 'Start data Import on row' + Select tool to achieve the needed behavior. 

2) Improve usability

I see multiple ways to improve the usability of this feature. I will start with the most simple way (for the dev team) and follow up with more complex. The problem is always the same: How do we know the exact position of the cells without opening it?

2.1) Add an additional row on top of the header row

grossal_1-1583676486315.png

The easiest possible way is to add an row above "Header F2 F3 ..." with A, B, C ...

This really helps to pick the right one.

2.2) "Select tool" inside the preview

grossal_2-1583676882170.png

I could imagine a feature where we can select the wanted cells and add them to the Query. The best way is probably an auto hover like word has it. See below.

grossal_3-1583676993234.png

When you select a text and wait a second, it automatically pops up some options to edit the text. Another option would be a simple right click.

2.3) Show Excel Button

grossal_4-1583677201199.png

Time to step up the quality with an additional button inside the Input Tool. The Show Excel Button opens the Excel file with a temporary window to help you select the right cells.

2.4 Select In Excel Button

grossal_5-1583677340933.png

This is probably the most advanced solution. Open the file (same as in the step before) and allow to select the ranges directly inside the file and throw the selected range inside the original config windows. It's probably the most difficult solution for the problem, but let me dream for a moment.

3 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

We’re currently working diligently to insure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. If you haven’t yet, check out our Submission Guidelines which go over the idea boards in a bit greater detail.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There are so many important things about this idea @grossal .   If we could specify the start of a named range, that would eliminate much of the confusion on "skip X rows", and it would also allow folks to have dynamic ranges.

Excel continues to be the most dominant input format on our server - so ideas like this which focus on taking a few mins off each interaction really do add up over time.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes