Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

In-database Tools shouldnt require SQL Knowledge

It is very difficult moving from Alteryx functions to SQL In-Database as a business user, I need to learn a whole new language.

In the short term Alteryx should provide a simple function reference, as similar as possible to the Formula tool, for building formula in the in-database tools.

Longer term I'd like there to be a parser from Alteryx Formulae to SQL so I can just write in my favourite Alteryx formula (or a subset thereof) and Alteryx handles the conversion to SQL. 

5 Comments
JCR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for the suggestion Chris!

Our goal is definitely to make Alteryx as easy to use as possible so this is definitely an area I'd like to explore.

Any vote or comment from others in the community on that topic?

Thanks,

JC

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

Something in between a simple filter and a clean slate page would be nice... I agree that one may need to reuse exisiting advanced and complex sql expressions as is so the blank expression box is needed for sure.

As an option type of filter may be altered through a dropdown menu where you select 

• IF...ELSE, 
  • CASE...WHEN...THEN...ELSE

or similar different filters based on connection from MS sql server, oracle or else...

Hope sounds plausable

Best

ksklar
7 - Meteor

100% agree with Chris, especially as I partially pitched Alteryx as a way to keep me from spending my limited time building SQL skills! That said, I'm pleased with the wider range of In-DB tools available in 10.0, and the performance improvements that I'm experiencing from moving at least my intial Select tool into In-DB SELECT statements are awesome. In-DB formulas are daunting the way they are though!

If anyone is looking for a resource to help with learning SQL, I've been using the O'Reily "Head First SQL" by Lynn Beighley. It's goofy, but very effective at making things stick in my brain.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!