The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

In-Database Write Data In-DB, make output behaviour configuarble

When using the Write Data In-DB component from the In-Database tools, after the insert or update is complete the default behaviour is that the component does a select * from the table.  So if inserting into dbo.customer, once the transaction is complete, the component does a select * from customer.  This behaviour is really useful in some circumstances, e.g. creating reference data then returning all data so you can join back into the workflow, but can also really destroy performance.  Imagine if dbo.customer contains billions of rows.  Of course there are ways of restricting the data that is returned to the workflow, (e.g. use the sample tool), but the query is still executed in the DB.  Therefore my suggestion is to make output configurable.  Would be useful to have a four option output, either:

(1) zero row output (i.e. metadata only),

(2) successful transaction flag & error message if applicable,

(3) count of rows effected, for some DBs you can get this by default (MS SQL Server), or

(4) select * from table, as is now.

Thanks, nick

2 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @spainn 

I had a quick look at this - and couldn't replicate what you mentioned about the select * - what I did was create a simple table, then append 2 rows every time I run the workflow, and even after running it 10 or 15 times, I'm still just getting 2 rows back from the browse after the WriteData In-DB (in other words, I'm not getting a select *)

Is there perhaps a nuance that I'm missing?

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes