The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

In-DB Detour and Detour End

I think it would be extremely helpful to have an in-DB Detour so that you could filter a user's information without having to pull it out of DB and then put it back in for more processing.  A time where this would be useful is if you have a large dataset and don't want to pull the entire dataset out of the DB because it will take a long time to pull it.  This would be applicable for filtering a large dataset by a specific state chosen by the user or possibly a region.  The Detour in the developer tools actually seems like it would do the job necessary, it just needs to connect to the In-DB tools.  

8 Comments
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Could you not do this currently by making an In-Db macro which had an In-Db filter updated by a question?

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

If I am understanding what you are saying, that wouldn't really be a solution.  Let me double check though.  So if I make an In-DB macro that is updated by a question I would still have the same issue.  Below is a picture of what I am trying to do.  Everything else is In-DB, so I don't want to have a data stream out and another one back in.  InDB_Detour.PNG

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So in your picture what is the detour doing?  Is it that sometimes you don't want to filter and sometimes you do?

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

Yeah, so I am building an application and I want my users to be able to select or deselect certain filters.  So I am using detours to accomplish this.  

example.PNG

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

OK that makes sense.

I have a couple of workarounds for you that would get you the result you wanted

1.  Shortcircuit the filter tool when you want all the data

FilterShortcircuit.png

So the formula updating the filter tool is

iif([#2], "CID=" + [#1], "1=1")

and the filter is set to 1=1 when the checkbox is-unchecked

2.  Build the detour by hand using a union tool and delete tool actions

DeleteToolDetour.png

In this method we use a union tool to act as the detour end and then delete tool actions to choose which route we take.

Obviously an In-Db detour tool would be better than both of these solutions, but this gives you something you can work with right now.

I don't seem to be able to attach modules here, but hopefully the above description makes sense.  If not let me know and I'll think of a way to get you the modules.

kevinbird15
9 - Comet

Ok, those both seem like decent ways to do it.  I will try implementing both of these and let you know how they work.  

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!