Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Improvements to Join Tool

Hi All,

While using the Join tool, I have ran across the following which I believe if included as part of Alteryx vanilla Join Tool version would be helpful -

1) Joining two data sets on Null values should be optional or should be removed. Generally Null means the value is not known so it seems like a logical error to treat two unknown values as same, unless specified otherwise.

2) Compress whitespaces, I have come across data sets coming from two entites which are all same except for the whitespace. So I think it would help to have an option wherein multiple whitespaces are compressed into one.

3) Case sensitivity/insensitivity - This is quite common for users to convert into upper case or lower case the columns on which Join condition are based. But IT developers end up coding more and at times creating new fields just for joining purpose.

4) Null matches non null - At times the requirement is such that if the join succeeds on a particular key column, null and not null values should be considered a match (but not two non equal non null values).

5) Removal of junk characters - There should be some functionality to remove junk characters from the columns on which joins are performed.

All/Any of the above points can be made available as an additional option in conjunction with the settings available today.

Thanks,

Rohit Bajaj

4 Comments
Rohit_Bajaj
9 - Comet

Hi All,

In addition to it, I believe the following might also help -

6) Columns Naming and Selection from Outer Join - The renaming of columns done inside a Join tool should flow to the outputs from Left and Right Outer Join connectors, additionally might like to have the choice of column moving out of L/R based on user selection in Join tool and not like all columns from Left input as part of Left Outer Join and likewise.

Thanks,

Rohit

Rohit_Bajaj
9 - Comet

Hi All,

One more to the list ...

7) Joining AND/OR along with Preference - At times the need is to do a OR Join, or the case might be Join on some AND conditions and if this fails try another AND and so on. What might be helpful is to have AND and OR join options - set along with clubbing of ANDs or ORs together and along with it to have a preference order defined.

E.g. for AND/OR might be (Table1.ColA=File2.ColumnA AND Table1.ColB=File2.ColumnB) OR (Table1.ColA=File2.ColumnA AND Table1.ColC=File2.ColumnC).

Another example depicting OR and order of preference might be (Table1.AttX=File2.AttributeX OR Table1.AttY=File2.AttributeY and so on ...)

Here AttY=AttributeY condition would be evaluated only when join on AttX=AttributeX fails.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!