community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!
Community v19.6

Looks aren't everything... But the latest Community refresh looks darn good!

Learn More

Have an SQL Tool

I constantly find my using pre and post SQL Commands in the Output tool to run SQL when I don't actually have any data to output.

One example is when I load data into S3 and want to load it into Redshift. I have SQL code to run but no data to Output - I end up running a dummy row into a temp table.

So can we have an SQL tool that simply acts the same as a Pre-SQL command without the associated data output. Once the command is run we should be able to continue the workflow, so the tool should have an option input and output, like the Run Command tool.

24 Comments
Alteryx Partner

I'm sure you are aware there happens to be new tools "in the block" that try to combine

SQL, Python, R

And Alteryx is able to blend all three in a single workflow

and is much easier to use

and is much easier to learn

so would love to see a tool that works much like jupyter notebook so that I can write an SQL code quickly test if it works etc.

DSC-Studio-041218

Alteryx Partner

default-theme

Also please take a look at TeamSQL, a great tool, an IDE (integrated dev ops environ) for SQL... 

This ability will ease the burden of migrating towards Alteryx from legacy platforms don't you think?

Alteryx Partner

Ooooh.

I didn't find that when I post my idea.

As of today, you can pass SQL from :
-input tool

-output tool

-connect in-db

The user interface is very limited, the kind of query you can pass also, welll, not very user-friendly. This generates a lot of frustration among users.

What do I suggest :
1/ A direct button "Query Builder" without having to open a new wf and drop an input box and then go with the presql tool and fight to build a query.

2/ Basically the same features than Dbeaver (https://dbeaver.io ) or DBvisualizer (https://www.dbvis.com/) or SQUIRREL http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/ ):
  -Ability to pass any SQL Code I want (such as update, create, truncate, etc...) when I come from the button, "protected" sql when I am in a workflow
  -autocompletion

-color coding (The idea is not new )

3/ A box "Free Sql Query" that I can branch on a indb or standard wf to pass any SQL query. The Output would be the same as input, just like it would be with a block until done.
Meteor

Upvote -

Also would like to see much more flexible ability to input SQL Commands without having to stick to a rigid "expectation" of what a SQL command looks like. 

eg let's say I want to pull in the dataserver name for some reason and want to output something like

select convert(varchar(30), getdate() ,113))+ @@servername as mystring

- you can't even run this because "error opening select * from " no columns returned

You can't even write a CTE to create a "fake" table:

;with dual as(
select null as dummy
)
select convert(varchar(30), getdate() ,113))+ @@servername as mystring
from dual

-- also fails

So in order to do this, I need to come up with a random table name which I redundantly select from, adding load to the dataserver - it feels very restrictive and I resent having to find workarounds to deal with these gaps in Alteryx functionality.