The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Server Ideas

Share your Server product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Get the login of the user when running an app from the Gallery

It would be really useful to be able to obtain the user name of some one running an app in the Gallery. This could be used for instance in row level security for people running an app that produces a report and that data is considered sensitive

30 Comments
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@wildflower,

We have had this usage app for the server for quite some time. Does this meet your needs?

Alteryx-Server-Usage-Monitoring-amp-Reporting

DanM

wildflower
8 - Asteroid

@DanM Thank you but not quite.

If a user is running a workflow that produces sensitive data, I want to be able to reproduce what they ran in an event of an audit or criminal complaint.
Is there a way to output to logging and/or write to a database table: 

• username of the person who ran the app in the Gallery
  • capture the full query generated (not truncated)
  • the rowcount of the results OR values from a specified field?

Although the Alteryx Server Usage Monitoring & Reporting is a neat overview tool, it does not meet my needs. I.e. The Job Analysis does not appear to include the username of the person who ran the app in the Gallery. I also need more details as mentioned above.The User Access dashboard appears to only capture login usage.

wildflower
8 - Asteroid

I found a newer (related) idea on the community that hits what I'm looking for: Alteryx Server Audit Logging

Perhaps if folks who are looking for deeper security logging could comment on that thread, it'd move further along in the review process?

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@wildflower,

Yes, if you feel that solution works for you then the more we see replies to that post the faster it moves up the latter in consideration to be added.

DanM

datamonkey
8 - Asteroid

I'd be very happy to see this feature added as well. I'm currently developing an app (actually three for different parts of related process) which, in summary, allows one user to upload some data and another user to check and sign off on it. Our current non-Alteryx solution requires logging in with a user ID and password, and the ID number is appended to the data to tag who uploaded the data, and the approver's user ID is also appended to log who approved it, and the log-in requirement ensures separation of duties as the person who submits data must never also be the one who approves it. My Alteryx POC requires manually typing the user ID, which cannot be validated so theoretically someone could use someone else's ID at this point.

I assume there is no way to achieve this with the current version of Alteryx, so I'm adding my voice to the request for this feature.

AkshayBV
5 - Atom

Would love to have this feature

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

You can now use the Alteryx Server Usage Report app on your Server as of 2018.1 to see who, what, and when a user ran a workflow. You can find the app in the Server Downloads.

autolycus
8 - Asteroid
@DanM, I believe the ask was for something run-time available so that when a user kicks off an App, there is a variable that could be referenced in the workflow to apply security or delivery options. Does the Alteryx Server Usage Report provide a macro that would do that? Thank you! Jon
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@autolycus,

We have these security options upon publishing the apps on the Server. If users are using sensitive data within their workflows, they should be using the option to require credentials. This is also the reason for the Collections to only allow certain people to run the workflow within that Collection who have access. The app I mention can be run at any time or updated to be scheduled if you so choose. The macro only pulls usage data from the Mongo database it will not apply any security or delivery options. The original ask in the idea, the app should suffice for that data requested.

There seems to be several asks here in this idea that are not related. @datamonkey request which is  different from the original and is then different from @wildflower. I am going to create new ideas for both of these comments, so that these ideas don't get mixed up or lost.

autolycus
8 - Asteroid
The original ask specifically quotes using the data for 'row level security'.