Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Formula tool - recognise a string is being written in-between apostrophes

Hello!

Currently when using the formula tool, you can create a string using the two following methods:

TheOC_0-1660057975884.png

With speech marks, or an apostrophe being used respectively.

I would expect both of these methods to behave the exact same way, however what is interesting is that if you type within the apostrophes anything that would prompt a formula, this is still prompted:

TheOC_1-1660058073228.png

This is not the case within the speech marks:

TheOC_2-1660058090523.png

This can cause mistakes with autocompletion when typing within the field. I propose a small QoL change that the formula tool will recognise a string is being written when within two apostrophes. I believe the logic is already built for that, given that it behaves in every other way the same, and highlights green too. 

Cheers,
TheOC

8 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes please, I've noticed this too!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

As a single quote user this would definitely be a big QoL update. Good idea! @TheOC 

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Using double quotes, I didn't know that it happens. Thank you @TheOC for sharing the idea !

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'm team double quotes too @Jean-Balteryx, found this as part of an accident 😁

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I knew you are in the good team ! 😉

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Great catch, @TheOC!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This could probably be a separate idea, but along the same lines, this happens when typing a comment, too:

Kenda_0-1681924684495.png

For me, I'm usually typing commentary in the comments, not actual expressions, so I find that this pop-up just gets in the way