The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Formula tool - recognise a string is being written in-between apostrophes

Hello!

Currently when using the formula tool, you can create a string using the two following methods:

TheOC_0-1660057975884.png

With speech marks, or an apostrophe being used respectively.

I would expect both of these methods to behave the exact same way, however what is interesting is that if you type within the apostrophes anything that would prompt a formula, this is still prompted:

TheOC_1-1660058073228.png

This is not the case within the speech marks:

TheOC_2-1660058090523.png

This can cause mistakes with autocompletion when typing within the field. I propose a small QoL change that the formula tool will recognise a string is being written when within two apostrophes. I believe the logic is already built for that, given that it behaves in every other way the same, and highlights green too. 

Cheers,
TheOC

8 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes please, I've noticed this too!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

As a single quote user this would definitely be a big QoL update. Good idea! @TheOC 

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Using double quotes, I didn't know that it happens. Thank you @TheOC for sharing the idea !

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I'm team double quotes too @Jean-Balteryx, found this as part of an accident 😁

Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I knew you are in the good team ! 😉

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Great catch, @TheOC!

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This could probably be a separate idea, but along the same lines, this happens when typing a comment, too:

Kenda_0-1681924684495.png

For me, I'm usually typing commentary in the comments, not actual expressions, so I find that this pop-up just gets in the way