Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Formula tool data type should be prominent

When a user adds a column in the Formula tool, show the data type directly underneath the column name, not below the expression. It's important for the user to set the data type and then build the expression. Otherwise, the user neglects to and then minutes or hours later sees strange behaviour as a result of having the default V_WString. Make the data type prominent because it is important and part of the metadata.

7 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I agree about the importance, but I personally think it's prominent enough where it is, but maybe that's because I know...

I think the formula tool should be much smarter and change the data type to the most likely option from the data preview, so I've posted this idea here and linked back to this post and a few others which are all connected: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Automatic-Dynamic-data-type-in-the-Formula-t...

seven
12 - Quasar

I've led many training sessions and people neglecting to set data types in any tool Formula type of tool is among the most common problems. It is not obvious for beginners how different data types affect downstream tools. Someone struggling with the results of a Sort tool may not realise for some time that the faulty data type is to blame.

I stand by my idea. No one is going to forget to type an expression, it's the fun part. Please place the data type under the field name and it will be natural for people to create/select the field name, set the data type, and then type the expression.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for submitting your idea to the Alteryx idea boards!

If you haven’t yet be sure to check out our updated Submission Guidelines as well as the other product idea boards! All boards are actively monitors and we appreciate all the feedback we receive for each product.

seven
12 - Quasar

@Joe_Lipski 

I have been rethinking this. You mention that the data type in a Formula tool is prominent enough where it is. It is the last of the three components needed for a valid formula, the first two being the field name and expression itself. I disagree that this is prominent. It is merely there and visible. Contrast the Generate Rows tool. Immediately after updating or creating a field, the data type is there. Only then do the expression editors begin. I think that's totally the way to do it and renew my ask. Please make the data type more prominent in the Formula tool.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @seven, we can have differing opinions on this... and I was just commenting that I thought the location was okay (once you knew where it was). However, on further review I actually agree with you that it could be better placed. I've mocked up a couple of potential options, although I'm sure the UX team could do a much better job if they also believe it could be improved...

joe_lipski_0-1600779160478.png

seven
12 - Quasar

@Joe_Lipski 

Sorry, I didn't want it to sound confrontational and for sure we can have differing opinions, that's the beauty of this community. I like your mockups, regardless of you rethinking it, I appreciate that you took a look.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes