The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Formula Tool - Number the Number of Expressions

In one of the recent releases, Alteryx enhanced the error message when there is an error within the Formula tool to display the error and the formula expression number.  

Example: 

Error: Formula (3): Parse Error at char(0): Unknown variable "TEST" (Expression #2)

My suggestion would be to label the different expressions within the formula tool with expression numbers.   And/or code the expression name when there is an error message.

10 Comments
jrpaul
7 - Meteor

I second this.  The error message isn't helpful if I have to count through 50+ formulas to find the right one with the error.  Adding expression numbers in the Configuration window would be a big help.

jsdeter
8 - Asteroid

I third this !!  Counting expressions is not productive.  

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Simple fix!

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Under Review

Designer Product team is investigating inclusion of this idea in conjunction with other requested feature updates for the Formula tool... Stay tuned!

NJ

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

Stay tuned! Expression ID number is making a comeback soon :) 

NJ

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

Expression numbers have been added to the Formula tool as of Designer version 2022.3! You can now quickly identify which expression has the error based on any messages received. Happy Alteryx-ing!

NicoleJ_0-1670347276068.png

Varad_Paranjape
5 - Atom

Hi, I am confused with this bit of information here. I have quite a few expressions within the same formula and they are not numbered. The page here - https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/formula-tool says that each expression gets numbered automatically ? Is there a manual process to number them ? 

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Varad_Paranjape Can you confirm which version of Designer you are on? This feature with expression numbering was introduced in 22.3, so if you're on a prior version those expressions will not be numbered.

Varad_Paranjape
5 - Atom

Hi @nicoleJ I am on Version: 2021.4.2.02731

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Upgrading to at least version 22.3 will give you access to that new functionality then! We have release additional version 23.1 since then as well, with more great new features - check out our Release Notes to find out more about the options available in each new Designer release :) Thanks!

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/designer/designer-20223-release-notes

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/designer/designer-20231-release-notes