Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Fix Datetimediff () bug with "months" and leap day

There is a bug in DateTimeDiff(a, b, "months") whereby if a is a leap day DateTimeDiff() returns a value by less than 1 month.

Please see attached workflow where I demonstrate this bug.

6 Comments
RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Comments Requested

We'll look into this. What version are you using? 

denny
8 - Asteroid

@RachelW I'm currently using 11.5 but this bug was first discovered on 9.5, which is when I filed a bug report on 2016-06-11.

Somehow the response replied with this is a feature and not a bug.

I haven't run the attached workflow against 2018.1 release yet.

The original support case number is 00114317.

The current workaround I use is to convert the dates involved to their respective 1st of the month, prior to running the DateTimeDiff() function.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@denny Thanks! We're looking into it. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

@denny Thank you for discussing this issue with me further. We will update our Help documentation to be clear as to how we are making the calculation and include how that impacts the calculation in the case of starting a time period with a leap day. 

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Our Help documentation has been updated to make the details of this function more clear. Thanks for submitting it to the ideas forum. 

denny
8 - Asteroid

@RachelW:

Thank you. I see the documentation update at https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm

Just wanted to mention I'm still requesting Alteryx to update the circled example to 12 instead of 11, through say an optional parameter. I understand Alteryx conforms to the Lotus 1-2-3 standards that DateTimeDiff() is currently using, and should be kept this way to avoid breaking existing Alteryx workflows, but Alteryx should also support a more common and standard interpretation than the 1980s Lotus 1-2-3 standard.

Alteryx DateTimeDiff examples.png