community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx Designer Ideas

Share your Designer product ideas - we're listening!

Find Missing Macro

Idea: Prompt the user to find a missing macro instead of the current UX of a question mark icon.

Issue: When a macro referenced in a workflow is missing, then there is no way to a) know what the name of the macro was (assuming you were lazy like me and didn't document with a comment) and b) find the macro so you can get back to business.

When this happens to me know, I have to go to the XML view and search for macros and then cycle through them until I find the one that's missing. Then I have to either copy the macro back into that location or manually edit the workflow XML. Not cool man.

Solution: When a macro is missing, the image below at the right should be shown. In the properties window, a file browse tool should allow the user to find the macro.

FindMissingMacro.png

12 Comments
Meteoroid

This is a very frustrating issue we are running into often and I can't find clear guidance on how to avoid and/or resolve it. 

Meteor
This is one of my biggest aggravations with Alteryx. No rhyme or reason (that I can tell) as to why this occurs. The macros are still in the same location they have always been, it is just that designer "forgets". While Hollingsworth's idea would be great IF this issue occurs, but the focus should be on preventing it from happening in the first place.