Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Find Missing Macro

Idea: Prompt the user to find a missing macro instead of the current UX of a question mark icon.

Issue: When a macro referenced in a workflow is missing, then there is no way to a) know what the name of the macro was (assuming you were lazy like me and didn't document with a comment) and b) find the macro so you can get back to business.

When this happens to me know, I have to go to the XML view and search for macros and then cycle through them until I find the one that's missing. Then I have to either copy the macro back into that location or manually edit the workflow XML. Not cool man.

Solution: When a macro is missing, the image below at the right should be shown. In the properties window, a file browse tool should allow the user to find the macro.

FindMissingMacro.png

33 Comments
AIChudnovsky
7 - Meteor

This is a very frustrating issue we are running into often and I can't find clear guidance on how to avoid and/or resolve it. 

DanielG
12 - Quasar
This is one of my biggest aggravations with Alteryx. No rhyme or reason (that I can tell) as to why this occurs. The macros are still in the same location they have always been, it is just that designer "forgets". While Hollingsworth's idea would be great IF this issue occurs, but the focus should be on preventing it from happening in the first place.
r4upadhye
11 - Bolide

+1

much needed !!!

AyoobD
5 - Atom

Please fix this! This would be a great way to impove the designer!

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I am sure we've all come across this, you've opened a workflow and the macro isn't where the workflow expects it to be.

MacroError.PNG

Currently if you want to update this you need to locate the macro and then insert it into the canvas, but it forgets all the configuration so these need to be reset.

So my suggestion is to have the option to right-click on the black box with the question mark and remap the macro location, an example shown below:

Untitled drawing (10).png

This would remember the xml set previously and then users can easily do their analysis.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Probably one of the single greatest updates needed! 

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This would be awesome! It would be such a big help if the workflow could remember the configuration

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Not to brag, but I submitted a similar idea three years ago. 😎

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Find-Missing-Macro/idc-p/629458#M14011

However, mine didn't explicitly mention to keep the XML intact instead of forgetting everything; that's a good add.

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Thanks @Hollingsworth I did check before posting as I was sure someone would've raised this before, but couldn't find any similar ideas. Can the ideas be merged?

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I don't know how to merge them. But you might go post your link on my idea.

That way people may Like both of them and the idea gets further promoted.