Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

File Browse for Chained Apps in the Gallery Should Provide Original File Location

In the Gallery, the File Browse tool returns the file location on the server where the file was uploaded. This allows the file to then be read in as input to a workflow.

If you need the file path of the original file location, you have to add a Text Input for the user to manually add it.

In my case (#00293302), I used a chained app to populate a list box for the user to select the Sheet Names they would like to process through the application. Unfortunately, since I was not able to capture the original file location the application errored out. This is due to the second app using the file location on the server where the file was uploaded, which is provided by the first workflow. This file location (from the Browse tool) is a temporary file location, where inputs are immediately deleted after processing.

Want to test this out? Create an application where you Output the file path from a File Browse tool.

i know.....grrr, this doesn't match your original file location!

Thank you,

Mark

4 Comments
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I need this tool. Description of my use case is https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/File-Browse-Interface-Tool-doesn-t-provi... 

it would suffice to add a hidden element containing original file path to the xml available from the interface tool. 

KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

I also have a need to deploy Gallery Apps where the user selects a UNC Path\File as the input and have the workflow write one or more output files to the same UNC location as input file selection. Whatever, Alteryx Server is doing in the background, I don't see the rationale for propagating a local, temporary file path.

aazimh
8 - Asteroid

+1 for this - been scratching my head for a while around why things weren't working but looks like the issue was right at the source.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes