The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Expand Record ID tool

Ok the time has come to expand functionality in the record ID tool. I would like the ability to restart the counter based on a field (e.g zip code). You can do it quickly in Tableau (see image) so why not have this functionality readily available in Alteryx? Sure, you can already do it in Alteryx - the long way - with the generate rows tool, look at previous/active row with certain condition and do +1 or something like that.

Having a simple restart counter in Record ID tool just makes sense. It's intuitve to have it there, and it's easier to use than generate rows tool. IMHO also easy to develop by Alteryx and +1 for Alteryx in gartner magic quadrant! 

RecordID2.JPG

16 Comments
ephij
9 - Comet

Alternative to the long way, call it a medium way.  I use a "Formula" tool to create a dummy field with a value of 1 then the "Running Total" tool to generate the counter.

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @simon,

Is this functionality the same as what you would achieve with a group by in the Record ID tool? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Internal-Product-Ideas/Record-ID-Tool-Group-By/idc-p/35455#M203

simon
11 - Bolide

Hi Ben,

I get Access Denied on your link. "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

From the title link, it does sound similar.

Thanks!

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @simon,

Okay, we'll verify the functionality is similar to what Tableau provides.  We will look at adding this in a future release.

Thanks,
Ben

BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Accepted

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

One of the most common uses of RecordID is to try to generate a unique record ID within a group.  For example the last column in the data set below

Customer     Book   Row ID    CustomerBook ID

A                  A         1              1

A                  B         2              2

A                  C         3              3

B                  A         4              1

B                  B         5              2

I know that this can be done by splitting, or multi-row formulas etc - but this could be done very easily by borrowing cleverness from some of the other components and just adding a group-by field to the Record ID control.

So - in the example below - I'd put a recordID component, with a group by on Customer, and this would then auto-generate the CustomerBookID column.

This is something that a few of us doing weekly challenges have had to hack around many many times - and would be a useful addition to the record ID tool  ( @mceleavey@MarqueeCrew@NicoleJohnson)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

it looks like this may be a duplicate of an idea that's already on the roadmap:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Expand-Record-ID-tool/idi-p/32667

Apologies for the duplication, and thank you to @simon , and @BenG for getting this on the roadmap

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I must apologise - I've accidentally posted a duplicate of your idea in a new idea here:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Group-By-on-Record-ID/idc-p/52719#M3619

@BenG / @TaraM - could you assist with getting my duplicate idea (link above) marked as a duplicate and shut down?

jroot
8 - Asteroid

Maybe I don't understand your requirements 100%, but I've accomplished something similar using the tile tool. Tile method would be Unique Value in the Zip Code field. You'd have a tile number for each zip code and a sequence number per tile for each record with the same zip code.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+1. Any updates on this idea?