Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Exception Join in DB

Right now there is not an exception join in DB which means if I want to remove records I have to filter on NULL and with large tables this is really inefficient.

6 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @alyssa_sedai

I may not be correctly understanding your request - but if you're looking to bring back the records that do NOT have a good join, could you just use a left-outer -join on the in-db Join?

leftouterJin.png

Costco_Edward
7 - Meteor

Request: Exception Join In-DB.  This causes Temp Spaces issues because of how we have to do an exception join.  We have submitted this suggestion and were told:

Considering the enhancement. It may require extra time for processing because it will be 2 more potentially large queries. We will want to be sure the option is there NOT to do the unjoined records. Dev Time will be approximately 1 - 8pt story to put in functionality and 3 pt stories to verify all the supported databases.

It would be good to get a timeline on this.  This was brought to my attention by Lauren J on the Advanced Analytics team here at Costco.  Any follow-up would be appreciated.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Costco_Edward

When you say "Exception Join" - what does this mean for you?

Are you able to mock up a simple example to illustrate?    Reason for asking is that "exception join" is not a term that I've come across - usually in database circles people talk about left; right; full; outer and cross joins.

alyssa_sedai
8 - Asteroid

Hello @SeanAdams,

An exception join is when you want the data that can be found in the "left" table that doesn't exist in the "right" table.  For example, say you have a list and you want to remove people who have opted out.  The table on the left would be the list and the table on the right would be the opted out individuals.  You would want the output to be everyone who hasn't opted out so only those people that are found in the left table and not in the right table (exception join).  You can try and do it with left outer join and then focus on the nulls but this becomes really inefficient and in a decent number of cases won't actually work because you can run out of temp space.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!