Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Enable hierarchical folder structure view with 'Publish to Tableau Server' tool

When utilizing the alteryx 'publish to tableau server' tool, only the name of the folder (project name) is visible for selection of where to publish the .hyper file on the tableau server.  When there are multiple folders with the same name under different parent folders, i.e. a 'weekly updates' folder under North America parent, a weekly updates folder under South America parent, etc... there is no way to differentiate between the 'weekly updates' folders in the tableau publish tool. 

In this case, you essentially have to publish test files to all the folders and write the results on a piece of paper for future reference.  

This request is to enable the navigation, or at least view, of a hierarchical folder structure within the 'publish to tableau server' tool.  

5 Comments
harshniu
5 - Atom

This is a huge miss in terms of integration with Tableau. If there are sub-folders 

(say XYZ) with the same names under the department projects (Sales->XYZ,,,Ops->XYZ) and the user only has access to XYZ under sales, there is no way to get to that specific sub-folder without Alteryx being able to interpret and display the complete hierarchy since currently they show up as Sales, Ops, XYZ, XYZ.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi all!

Thank you for posting your feedback! I've looked over this idea and it looks like it's good to go to our product team once it reaches the necessary like count, however I always strongly encourage adding use cases as it helps our product team fully conceptualize what the need is. Also I would recommend checking out our Submission Guideline as it goes over our current criteria for reaching the product team.

simket
5 - Atom

I have same issue, now that my company is using Alteryx more , and more departments have their project folders and the projects themselves are names identical (i.e. last week metrics). Would be nice to be able to see the parent folder(s) of the project so I know which tableau dashboard I am pushing data to.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

dbmurray
8 - Asteroid

Has this been resolved? Presently can only publish to the root project directory and not any subfolers\project sub folders