The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Enable complex queries for Google Big Query

Google Big Query can contain so-called complex queries, this means that a table "cell" can host an array. These arrays are currently not supported in the SIMBA ODBC driver for Google Big Query (GBQ), ie. you can't download the full table with arrays.

All Google Analytics Premium exports to GBQ contain these arrays, so as an example, please have a look at the dataset provided via this link: 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3416091?hl=en

The way to be able to query these tables is via a specific GBQ SQL query, for instance:

Select * From flatten(flatten(flatten(testD113.ga_sessions,customDimensions),hits.customVariables),hits.customDimensions).

This is not currently supported from within the Input tool with the Simba ODBC driver for GBQ, which I would like to suggest as a product idea.

Thanks,

Hans

15 Comments
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Coming Soon

We are currently planning to release in Q2.

djb
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @ARich,

Can you tell me if the current set of Big Query tools are the latest ones you mentioned in your post, or will a newer version be released shortly?  

I'm currently trying to export some data to a BQ table, but am failing quite spectacularly!  Can you tell me what format the Alteryx tool exports data to Big Query please so I can set this in the BQ UI?  I'm hoping this will fix the problem (can't make any sense of the fail message).  Sorry bit of a Noob at all this.

Many thanks,

Darren

BQ export fail.PNG

HJackson
7 - Meteor

@ARich The new BQ tools are cool, but I was immediately disappointed to find that the output tool is insert only.  Are there plans to expand the write options?  If so, can you give an approximate ETA?  This is a major blocker in using this tool as it will pass the cost on to customers to de-dupe on the BQ.

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Implemented

Complex Queries are now supported if you use our new BQ tools available via the Gallery.

@HJackson We will continue to enhance functionality if we have enough demand, so please start new idea threads with the functionality you'd like to see.

Best,

Alex

HJackson
7 - Meteor

For those of you who've gotten to this point in the thread and are wondering "where can I upvote additional functionality in the BQ tools?" Start here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Update-Revamp-Google-BigQuery-Output-Tool-Al... This idea is to allow for overwrite vs append only when writing to BQ.