Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Enable Performance Profiling and other Runtime settings by default

Hello!
I am making this idea request in response to this question:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Is-it-possible-to-enable-Performance-P...

Currently, one of my favourite settings to enable in Alteryx is the performance profiling, as i get to see exactly how much time is being used at each step, and its a quick reminder to double check those tools that take a while for optimisation. However, i have to enable this on every new workflow that i open as the setting only applies to the current workflow, and it can be frustrating executing a large workflow only to realise after waiting for it to run, that this setting was not enabled.

TheOC_0-1621085385240.png

What i'd like to propose, is an extra set of settings within the User Settings, default tab (which is currently):

TheOC_1-1621085507563.png

To something like:

Untitled.png

Which would simply enable these settings as a default, when a new workflow is made. 

Let me know what you think! I think a couple of the other settings in there could see use, especially as the AMP engine develops and those who want to see all macro messages, for example.

Cheers,
TheOC

4 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @TheOC, we appreciate your idea and feedback! We strive to improve our product and ensure our users are being heard. Make sure to check out our Submission Guidelines and check out ideas submitted by other users and the other idea boards. 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

+1 vote to this idea submission. The perf. profile feature almost works like a guard rail to help non-tech Business Users ask questions around workflow optimization.

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I'm upvoting this idea because I endorse the concept of having a richer set of options for this settings page. 

[meta idea: UI Modes that would affect multiple settings at once]

As I read this idea, it made me think about the different modes or phases of development that I routinely encounter.

For example, Discovery->Develop->Refactor/Optimize

I think it would be useful to be able to choose from pre-confiugred modes that would in turn change the configuration settings mentioned above.

For example, I'd love a mode called "SafeMode" in which Disable All Tools That Write Output is unchecked.

Another mode could be "Everything" mode in which Show All Macro Messages and Enable Performance Polling are checked.