Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Embed file in a macro/workflow so it can be locked

Hello --

Not sure if this is possible right now, but here is my use case. I have a file with sensitive data that is not saved in a share drive, but in a personal home drive so only I have access to it.

At this point, I can run a workflow that requires the file -- but I have access to my home drive -- which other uses would not. I want others to be able to run the workflow -- so, you know, when I win the lottery workflows can go on.

I know I can lock a macro. However, if there is an input file in that macro, the user there is still a dependency on having access to where that file is stored.

What would be nice is if there were an option to embed the entire file within the workflow (macro) which could then be locked. The data could be prepared from within the macro only outputting the desired pieces of information and another user could run the workflow only have access to what comes into the workflow from the output.

The owner of the file has a little auditability as they still have an unencrypted version should then need to see what the source data provided looked like.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss further.

Thanks,

Seth 

4 Comments
cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Is the static and not too large? Could you change it to a text input file that way the workflow doesn’t need access to your personal drive?

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

@cgoodman3 --

Thank you for the response. While to approach you mentioned is what we did, considering the data we are putting in is salary day, it would be nice to just embed the entire workbook for auditability purposes. The business would like to know that the file was used as-is.

Kind Regards,

Seth

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @smoskowitz - we appreciate the feedback! We’re doing our best to ensure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. Be sure to check out our updatedSubmission Guidelines for any board or criteria related questions! 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes