Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Email Tool Enhancement (Reporting Palette)

It would be good if the Email Tool could be enhanced so that it can send HTML e-mails, by that I mean the body of the e-mail is HTML based on a field in the workflow that contains a string of HTML. 

Currently we are having to use batch files with command line e-mail clients to send e-mail with HTML generated within Alteryx workflows.

30 Comments
jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Agreed 100% ... let us add an html formatted body.

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Seriously who wants an unformatted super ugly email?  Got 95% of the solution done in half a day and now need to punt because the output is so fugly.  

Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

+1

need to be able to send super good looking e-mails with analytics reports or

better super sexy marketing e-mails through Alteryx...

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Not to dissuade Alteryx engineers from doing a better job on making this happen natively, I have found that you can get formatted HTML emails by wrapping your content up like this:  

<htmlpassthrough>
<![CDATA[

Your custom fancy looking html goes here

]]>
</htmlpassthrough>

Note:  For some weird reason, the first entry being replaced was showing up in quotes, which we bypassed by including it as hidden; i.e., have something like the following as your first replacement object:

<div style="display:none;">[Name:A]</div>

Then, you can add [Name:A] all over the place and you are golden.  

HTH!

email away!

brian

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Brian Scott,

Where exactly did you put this code?

What does the CDATA part do?

When I put it in the email tool "body" section and it just sends the entire code as text including the htmlpassthrough part... no conversion to html format.

When I put it in a report tool "text data" it just sends the entire code as text including the htmlpassthrough part... no conversion to html format.

Jason

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hey Jason -

Email me @ brian.scott@Talgov.com and I will reply with a sample workflow that should get you there.  It's tricky, but can be done.  I'd post one here,but it seems like the ideas forum doesn't support non-picture attachments.

brian 

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

1000 points for this solution!

I couldn't post the file to the "idea" section either so I posted the file in the forums here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/Sending-HTML-Email-with-Email-Tool/m-p/160660/h...

File: https://community.alteryx.com/pvsmt99345/attachments/pvsmt99345/setup-configuration/5022/1/passthrou...

Jason

DataSetGo
6 - Meteoroid

@

@

This is an incredible find! Thanks so much for sharing!

Still an Alteryx noob but I successfully used the code to create an html email body but I have a question: how can we include dynamic fields to update Salutations, Name, Address, etc in the body of the email before the html passthrough code?

I added a formula tool to add a Field with a text string and dynamic fields but don't see it in the body of the text.

It's likely something very obvious I'm overlooking.

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Email me at the address I gave above and I'll send you a test workflow that I got to go.  If I can find it.  But I think I can.

DataSetGo
6 - Meteoroid

Email sent!