Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Easy way to modify connections between nodes

Very simple. Use the wheel button on the mouse to reconfigure connections between nodes. You click on the origin or end and drop into the new anchor point.

6 Comments
joeGade
10 - Fireball

This is a Definitely a Needed option for Server Admin, Implementation the deployments between QA and PROD is a nightmare, 

The Production Deployments take's the time,  same as the Developer took the time to develop the workflow. 

Please Fix it. 

JulieM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@JosePitteloud1 and @joeGade - I just want to make sure I'm understanding what is being requested here.  Is this a request to be able to configure data connections and syn across different environments?  Or some other Server Admin functionality to push actual Server settings across all nodes when configuring an actual Server deployment?  Thanks!

joeGade
10 - Fireball

Let Me Explain in a Simple Way(image attached).  I am taking in terms of Server. In the gallery we create connections and we use it in that respective Environment. 

In QA 

Workflow Contains 2 Tools ,  Source(Salesforce)---->Target(Oracle)

Source Connection Nam: SalesForce   (Pointing to salesdomain-qa.salesfoece.com)

Target Connection Name(gallery Connection): Datawarehouse (Pointing to Connect Sting t3mm )

In Prod 

Workflow Contains 2 Tools ,  Source(Salesforce)---->Target(Oracle)

Source Connection Name: SalesForce   (Pointing to salesdomain-Prod.salesfoece.com)

Target Connection Name(gallery Connection)Datawarehouse (Pointing to Connect Sting t3pp )

In Both Cases the Connection name is Same, but its pointing to Different URL. Database 

When we do the Deployment we only take the Connection name (SalesForce or data warehouse), not the connect string.  

There should be a simple way when there is a same connection in the gallery it has to recognize and point to the connection in that Environment, All BI tools work that way,

On overall, we need Simple Deployment options for Migration from QA to PROD.Right now we have to go back and change all connections manually. Image this in Enterprise environment. imagine we have 60 salesforce tables and 200 Oracle tables, I have to change connections to all and promote it to prod.

salesforce.png

EEdLoh
8 - Asteroid

@joeGade, isn't this what creating Data connections on the gallery and sharing them with your users is for? Personally, I don't have any premade connections on any of our worker computers to avoid this specific problem. I've encouraged my users to use driver-based connections and forced them to deal with the fallout when they don't. XD

Also, I think @JosePitteloud1 was referring to a UI feature to move connections from tool-to-tool in Designer itself; hence the references to the mouse wheel and anchor points.

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Inactive

Community_Admin
Alteryx
Alteryx

The status of this idea has been changed to 'Inactive'. This status indicates that:

1. The idea has not had activity in the form of likes or comments in over a year.

2. The idea has not reached ten likes.

3. The idea is still in the 'New Idea' status. 

However, this doesn't mean your idea won't be implemented! The Community can still like and comment on this idea. With enough renewed interest, this idea can be brought back into the 'New Idea' status. 

Thank you for contributing to the Alteryx Community and the Alteryx Product Idea Boards!