Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Dynamic input - option to 'Auto Configure by Name' instead of batch macro

This has probably been mentioned before, but in case it hasn't....

The dynamic input tool is useful for bringing in multiple files / tabs, but quickly stops being fit for purpose if schemas / fields differ even slightly. The common solution is to then use a dynamic input tool inside a batch macro and set this macro to 'Auto Configure by Name', so that it waits for all files to be run and then can output knowing what it has received. 

It's a pain to create these batch macros for relatively straightforward and regular processes - would it be possible to have this 'Auto Configure by Name' as an option directly in the dynamic input tool, relieving the need for a batch macro? 

Thanks,

Andy 

7 Comments
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

+1 this would be really nice. I have so many orphaned batch macros that do this.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

+infinity for this one!

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

completely agree. honestly, i rarely even use the dynamic input except for maybe sql statements since, well, it really isn't that dynamic when it comes to file structure. This would be a fantastic solution to what is a very simple 2 tool batch macro that can be tedious to setup depending on file type. 

jacob_kahn
12 - Quasar

Love that you shared this!

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi all!

Thank you for your feedback and idea! It's great to see such a large amount of engagement on an idea in such a short time frame. I've updated the labels on this idea to insure the correct product teams have visibility into this idea. For anyone who hasn't checked out our Submission Guidelines yet, they go over the idea board process and I recommend giving it a look.

Hugo
9 - Comet

so much this! its super confusing for new users too when I have to explain they have to make a batch macro - really dampens enthusiasm especially because the files may look the same to them so they can't work out what is causing the issue

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for your feedback!

Our product team has reviewed this idea, and due to competing initiatives and projects, determined we're unable to put this idea on the near future roadmap. However, they would like to keep this in mind for future updates to the roadmap.

We'll do our best to update the status when our product team reevaluates this idea in the future.