Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Drag and re-order columns in Union Tool

I am using Union Tool to effectively append two datasets that share about 30 columns, but the field names are slightly different so I had to manually configure fields. The primary dataset has 300+ columns and none of these can be dropped... The process of clicking the arrows to align the fields is driving me nuts lol

Can we have the 'drag and order' feature in Append Fields Tool? That would be much appreciated!

7 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Yes to this! A right click and drag like in the join/select tool would be the consistent option!

Per
11 - Bolide

Apparently I am missing what is obvious to you and @Joe_Lipski 🙂, but what difference between Append Field and Join tool are you referring to? It seems that both tools have the same capabilities when it comes to ordering with right-click´n´drag and the menu?

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I have a feeling that @David_Tangy means 'Union Tool' in the last line of his post which would match the title rather than 'Append Tool'

David_Tangy
5 - Atom

@Joe_Lipski Spot on! Yea I meant the 'Union Tool'... the 'Append Tool' in the last line was a typo lol but I can't change it. I would love 'Union Tool' to have the same drag and order feature like in Append/Join/Select!

@Per Sorry about the confusion lol

Per
11 - Bolide

And can see that I did not even see you said Union first and Append second. I just read everything as Append 🙂

Thanks for the clarification, and for sure, this would be nice

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for the idea and feedback!

Glad to see this much interest and discussion on an idea! This is good feedback for the product team on what we can do to improve our UX and help us understand how many people uses features like the drag and drop columns. For anyone who hasn't yet, be sure to review our Submission Guidelines and like any ideas that would be beneficial to you!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes