Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Drag a Worflow tab out of Alteryx to open another Alteryx Window

Hi,

With multiple Workflows open, I'd like to be able to grab one of the Workflow tabs and drag it out on to the desktop.  This act would then cause a new Alteryx Window to open up with the Workflow that was pulled out.  Just like when you have multiple tabs open in I.E. and you drag a tab out and drop it on the desktop - you end up getting another I.E. opened up and the tab you dragged out is in the newly opened I.E.

This would be handy because I'm often wanting to copy/paste tools, formulas, etc. and it would be nice to do that w/o flipping from one tab to another.

I know I can right-click and open another Alteryx but when opening several - they all open in the same one.

Thanks,

Brad

21 Comments
leebria3
8 - Asteroid

Any progress on this? I have been looking for the solution of multiple windows for the same workflow from Day 1 starting Alteryx. 

Brad1
11 - Bolide

I'm not sure we have the same issue.  What are do you mean "multiple windows for the same WF"?  If you want to do different things with the same WF - I would look into using Containers.  You and open and shut different pieces of the job and you can have multiple instances of the same WF open at once.

ClementineH
5 - Atom

This would be great, as it means that after an unscheduled shutdown, you don't have to toggle between (saved and recovered) worksheets to check for the latest workflow changes that didn't have a chance to save.

harschr
5 - Atom

Yes, this would be a very useful addition!

Yingjun_Feng
5 - Atom

Share a solution which works for me to have Alteryx workflows opened in separate tabs:

Go to "Options">"User Settings">"Edit User Settings" > uncheck box "Open Alteryx files as new workflow tabs in the same Designer window" and save the change. (Please see screenshots below)

Now try opening your workflows and they should be shown in separated tabs!

Step 1:

Yingjun_Feng_2-1661352580293.png

Step 2:

Yingjun_Feng_5-1661352665227.png

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

jpscoralick
8 - Asteroid

out of nowhere I discovered that you can open two different windows by simply selecting at the same time the files you want to open and then pressing "Enter".

Brad1
11 - Bolide

Yes, on what Yingjun said.  But my issue is I'll open a second window with the Plus sign and start dragging stuff in there to work on and then decided I need to see both windows.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

I have not heard that it's in the works although they have accepted other ideas from me.  They let you know it's coming with an email.

lumjingbki
8 - Asteroid

I use two screens while comparing. This is how I do and its saves time for me. hope it helps too.

- Open the one of the workflow and keep in the right or left monitor

- Right click on the Alteryx in your windows task bar then open new Alteryx designer window.

- There you can open the workflow you require one on the Right monitor and another on the left.

Hope it helps