The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Double-click in Results-Workflow-Messages for errors

Hey @apolly 

You and the team have been doing a lot of innovative changes to the results window for data.

Could I ask for an uplift to the results window for Workflow Messages?

Summary: Error messages in the workflow results window cannot be fully viewed - have to be copied into Notepad and then reformatted before you can read.

Request: Allow user to double-click to see full readable version of a workflow result message

Detail:

If you have an error message in a workflow result - it gives you a message that is often longer than the window allows and there is no cell-viewer option

DoubleClickError.png

As a result, there is really no way to get to the important part of the error message to understand what's going on, other than to use Notepad

Step 1: Copy into Notepad

DoubleClickError-part2.png

(you can see the end of line characters being misunderstood)

Step 2: Manually clean this up by breaking on the line breaks

DoubleClickError-part3.png

And now you can see the important part of the result message..

Could we rather add the ability to double-click on a result message in the result window and bring up a modal window that formats the error message for you (similar to the modal window used for XML editing of a tool).   That would eliminate this entire wasteful effort of trying to read an error message and having to use Notepad?

Bring up a modal window, similar to this one; so that I can see the error without having to go to NotepadBring up a modal window, similar to this one; so that I can see the error without having to go to Notepad

4 Comments
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Hovering over a long error message will display the entire message.

Agreed that a cell viewer here would help.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for submitting your idea to the Alteryx idea boards!

If you haven’t yet be sure to check out our updated Submission Guidelines as well as the other product idea boards! All boards are actively monitors and we appreciate all the feedback we receive for each product.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Python tool is the worst offender for long messages. I didn't know of the hover feature @ChrisTX ! Though it seems to disappear after 2 seconds which is a little annoying when reading.