The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Do not close workflow when the 'Cancel' button is selected after saving to Gallery

If you open a workflow in Designer from the Gallery, make some changes, and then attempt to save it back to Gallery (i.e., Ctrl-S), you receive the Save Workflow dialog (as per attached).  However, if you then realize that you want to make an additional change before saving the workflow and click 'Cancel', the workflow closes without saving.  The expected behavior would be for the Save Workflow dialog to close, but not the entire workbook.  This is terrible functionality and should be fixed because it results in lost work.  Thank you

4 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @klonergan,

I've just tested this and it doesn't happen to me, as when I click cancel is closes the dialog box and allows me to then do what I want to the workflow.

It may have been a bug that got fixed... What version of Alteryx Designer are you using? I'm on 2020.2.3

Cheers,

Joe

klonergan
8 - Asteroid

Joe,

Thanks very much for the quick response.  Sorry, I should have included more information -- I'm using version 2020.3.4.  I also now can't reproduce this exactly myself and so I was possibly mistaken in the steps I had taken.  However, I can reproduce a similar workflow which is still something I think should be considered for an update.  That is:

1.) Close a workflow that's been opened from the Gallery with unsaved changes (i.e., by clicking the 'x').

2.) Select 'Yes' when asked "The file xyz has changed.  Do you want to save the changes?"

3.) You'll then get the Gallery 'Save Workflow' dialog.  If you now cancel this dialog, the workflow will close without saving the changes.  The expected behavior in this case would still be that you'd be returned to the workflow, not that it would close without saving.

I imagine this is what happened to me yesterday - but it's not my normal process to close a workflow in this way and so I think it may have occurred into another context - and will update this again if that happens.  

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi all!

We appreciate the feedback, though I find it odd that, based on your posts, the behavior isn't consistent. I'm going to check with our Support team to confirm if this might actually be a bug rather then an expected behavior. If it is a bug I'll update this post and move it accordingly to get included in the defect process.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes