Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Disable Capability for Browse Everywhere

I think there should be the ability to turn on and off the “Browse Everywhere” function.  I have found that my temp drive is filling up faster than it did before this most recent addition and, while I think Browse Everywhere is fantastic for QA, I don’t necessarily need it working in every workflow I run.

6 Comments
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @erigal

If you go to Options -> User Settings -> Advanced

Then you can override the 'Tool Results Settings' and set the memory limit per anchor to 0, which if I'm correct doesn't create temp 'browse anywhere' files.

Joe

erigal
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, @joe_lipski! 

This is a solution to prevent Browse Everywhere from creating temp files for any of my workflows, but I would like to have the capability to turn off just Browse Everywhere for specific workflows instead of having to adjust my user settings each time.  Similar to how tool containers can now be disabled from running within the workflow, when needed. 

When I'm creating a new workflow, I like having Browse Everywhere to QA, but don't necessarily need it for established workflows I run on a regular basis.  It is going to be a real pain to have to remember to go in there and turn the setting on and off each time I need it or don't.

For now, I will go with your suggestion, which works just fine other than the inconvenience of having to switch on and off depending on workflow.

Thanks, again!

Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can also check "Disable All Browse Tools" in the runtime properties (in workflow configuration.)  That disables all browse tools as well as browse everywhere for a specific module to save temp space.

All that said, by default Browse Everywhere by default uses 1MB per connection.  For even a fairly large module that should be under 1GB of temp space because of it.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @KylieF, I think this idea can be marked as implemented it's already in the product

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

@Joe_Lipski 

Thank you for the ping and good call! You're correct this has been implemented and is available in the most recent releases of Alteryx. 

erigal
6 - Meteoroid

Awesome! Thanks, guys.