Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Disable Auto Configuration Should Be A Workflow Level Setting, Not A User Level Setting

Hi Alteryx Devs - 

Doing a simple, but cumbersome workflow with a lot of database inputs.  It was going slow, and every time I tried to paste something into it from another workflow, I'd get lock ups. Get the 'Workflow must be run for field meta info to be accurate' error. Google tells me that I need to check the 'Disable Auto Configuration' option.  OK.  It is in user settings, but this means for my other workflows that don't have problems like this (i.e., 99% of my workflows), I'll have that functionality applied when it really is only a problem for the minority. 

Should be a relatively simple fix to give this option at workflow properties time instead of user settings time. 

Thanks.

brian

11 Comments
Claje
14 - Magnetar

I totally agree that having this option as a workflow setting would be really helpful.

I also think that it would be helpful to have an option when opening workflows to "Open with auto configuration disabled".  I have encountered issues that I had to support in the past where a user's password was included in a workflow or alias, and auto configuration locked their account by trying to connect once for each data source.  Having an option to not run this config on open would remove a lot of painful workarounds that i've had to implement in the past that usually amount to breaking connection strings inside the xml itself to edit these connections.

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar

Agree fully

JayR
6 - Meteoroid

I'm all for this! In particular, I have Auto Config issues with only some connectors but many of my workflows are totally fine with Auto Config enabled. It's just those few ones that are a real pain.

MJ
8 - Asteroid
I concur
lcrosby
7 - Meteor

Absolutely, would be very handy.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I just found this idea and think it would be great!

Scott_Snowman
10 - Fireball

Definitely would be a great option to have!

YEM
8 - Asteroid

I would really appreciate this feature.  I have a workflow that executes several functions in PostgreSQL in the input tool / pre-sql.  Every time I open the workflow it executes the functions, if I forget to turn auto-configure off.  It's pretty tough to remember to turn it off before opening a specific workflow... since I need it turned on for all workflows except this one.

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Agreed, great idea to have it be workflow specific!

vaughangary
8 - Asteroid

ditto