Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Directory Tool: Empty Folders

Would like to see the Directory tool output results for folders that are empty.

My particular use case is requiring me to join a dataset with a file system directory and identify each dataset record's corresponding folder in a file directory. Each folder in that directory has subfolders that require a document to be located inside, and I'd like to be able to use the Directory tool to identify which subfolders are empty for which records.

5 Comments
martin-krejci
6 - Meteoroid

@aquinta4: Did you ever manage to find the answer? 

martin-krejci
6 - Meteoroid

I found a solution to this. 

Win command line below should do the magic, then the structure generated by the command can be cleared for the additional characters generated.

TREE /a C:\...\final_folder > output.txt

martin-krejci_0-1590749618126.png

TREE actually takes quite a time if you would like to map a large size of a file. The below will do the work if you want to output of files with their full paths only and runs much faster.

DIR C:\...\final folder /B /S > output.txt

MPohlers
8 - Asteroid

I tried out the precedure of @martin-krejci and what was missing for me was a recursive way knowing that a folder on a higher level has no files all the way down to the lowest level. And then additionally I need to delete those empty directories.

I found the following free software that finds those empty directories and can delete them with a GUI. Quite nice, works out of box so I stopped trying to make it work in Alteryx.

https://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm

nataliamiteva
8 - Asteroid

https://www.jonasjohn.de/red.htm is a great solution for this! Thanks for sharing @MPohlers 

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes