The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Delta Copy Wizard

One of the common things that we need to do, is to take a delta-copy of a file or a DB table into the staging area of the analytical database.

This always looks very similar - so it would be useful to make this a wizard based process so that teams can easily build these very quickly rather than having to hand wrap:

Process:

- Check which primary keys exist - fill the gaps where they don't

- Are there any rows that update over time (or is this insert-only) - if they update over time, which column is the "updated date" column so that we can spot updates - if there is no update date; then we need to do a column by column check of some kind (like a hash or a checksum)

- Do you want to sync deletes?

- Do you want to keep updates?

Outputs:

- Target table in staging area which is now updated compared to the source

- Logging done (similar to what Kimball recommends in the ETL Handbook) with the run date/time; summary stats; and any errors

- Errors table for any errors that arose with row numbers

- Tables in target created (with history table if requested)

3 Comments
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar
100% agree. I have a homemade delta tool I use, but I'd love to have a robust version come baked into the product.
Susan
6 - Meteoroid

This idea sounds great! I just did a bit more hunting & this looks like a really simple solution https://visualbi.com/blogs/self-service-bi/alteryx/achieve-delta-incremental-load-alteryx/  If not, does anyone have anything they can share so I don't have to reinvent the wheel please? @JohnHollingsworth you mentioned a homemade delta tool (& you are a GIS person & a multi-year ACE... so that sounds awesome....)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes