Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Debug batch macros: Test Values

When building and debugging batch macros - it is important to be able to add test values and use these for debugging. However, the input values in the interface tools section do not allow input, and the ability to save or load test values also does not work.

While there is a workaround - setting the values in the workflow variables - this does not work fully (it doesn't reflect in the interface view; and is incorrect in the debug report) and is inconsistent with all other macro types.

Please could you make this consistent with other ways of testing & debugging macros?

All screenshots and examples attached

Screenshot 1: not possible to capture test values

2018-12-26_10-55-16.jpg

Screenshot 2: saving and loading test values does not work

2018-12-26_10-56-39.jpg

Screenshot 3: Workaround by using workflow variables

Scree2018-12-26_11-00-45.jpg

Screenshot 4: Values entered do not reflect properly 

2018-12-26_11-03-01.jpg

Screenshot 5: Debug works partially

2018-12-26_11-05-37.jpg

7 Comments
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar
I would appreciate this feature very much.
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@SeanAdams

In the 2019.4 release we did a lot of updates to the batch macro testing process. So I wanted to confirm with you, as there does seem to be a bit of variation between the updates we did and what was requested in this idea, did these updates achieve your goals for this idea?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @KylieF - is there a writeup on the improvements to macro testing in 2019.4 that I can work through?   The release info for 2019.4 was somewhat summarized so not super clear exactly what was changed or fixed with respect to macros.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @KylieF  - just following up on your question - I read the release notes for 2019.4 and I couldn't find any info on the updates to the macro testing tools.

https://help.alteryx.com/release-notes/designer/designer-20194-release-notes

Is there any separate writeup on the updates to batch macro testing that you mentioned above?

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

@SeanAdams We added the ability to debug control parameters in 2019.4, which is I believe what you are asking for in this customer idea. I am not sure why it is not in the release notes.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi @SeanAdams !

I sincerely apologizes for the delay on responding to this idea. It appears the reason this Macro update wasn't included in the release notes was an oversight on our side which is being corrected. I've also confirmed with the Designer product manager that this idea was indeed implemented in 2019.4 so I'm going to update the idea to Implemented.

Thank you so much for the feedback and helping us constantly improve our product!