Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Data profiling on large data sets

Data profiling feature in the Browse tool is a great feature, however, when your working with an extremely large data set, it can a large amount of time to fully render.

My idea is if Alteryx can make a pre-determination whether the data is so large that it'll take a substantial amount of time to profile the data. If it does, to not profile immediately, rather, display a message where the profile info would be letting the user know that it may take a while to generate with a "Generate Profile" button if the user needs to see it.

Another option would be to only profile a sample of the data and present the user an option to profile everything.

Thanks,

Jimmy

3 Comments
Atabarezz
13 - Pulsar

I agree on this...

It really takes a lot of time to profile big data sets

and in the mean time Alteryx become unresponsive for a few seconds...

However it is possible to quickly sample a big data set and

provide profiling information without compromising on profiling quality...

Here you go a research paper on the topic...

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8231848

wlhale
7 - Meteor

Allowing the ability to turn on/off data profiling PER workflow would be helpful. I do all my work on one instance of designer and some of my inputs can be 1,000,000 rows plus. I know i can reduce that however if i'm simply making a change to the workflow and want to run it before updating the scheduler workflow i forget to turn it off on the user options (mainly because i have it on for some other work i'm doing) all of sudden i run the changed workflow to a browse window and the profiler takes over for about 5 minutes it seams. The ability to control this per workflow would be very helpful.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes