Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Data Cleanse - Convert Blanks to Null

I've always wondered why the Data Cleansing tool has the option to convert nulls to blanks, but not convert blanks/empty cells to null.

I'm sure it's debatable given different approaches, but we always look to convert blank/empty data strings to NULL. Currently I have to do an extra cleansing step via a formula tool anytime I want to clean up these blanks.

5 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

Your idea looks good, and is timely with the recent updates to the data cleanse tool! If you haven't yet, be sure to check out our Submission Guidelines for more information about the boards and product process.

justindavis
10 - Fireball

@KylieF reviving this - it seems like your reply is implying this was addressed / taken care of in one of last year's releases (and thus that I did not submit this idea in accordance with community guidelines)

Unless I am missing something, this feature actually still is not incorporated into the data cleansing tool. From what I can tell, data cleansing tool allows you to convert Nulls -> Blanks, but not vice versa.

Can you clarify whether this idea is current up for consideration to be incorporated to the tool in the future?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hi @justindavis,

I apologize for the implication that this was already addressed as that was not the intent of my post. I just found it a fun coincidence that your post was fairly close in timing to the release containing updates to the Data Cleanse tool. I was also recommending reviewing the Submission Guidelines as it includes information on how our feedback process occurs, including what kind of comments help us, such as users providing use cases, and that our voting system is based on the likes the post has.

You're idea is still up for consideration, though has not been sent for review by our product team yet as it hasn't reached the like threshold of ten that we use to help gauge interest on an idea.

theresa_virtuous
5 - Atom

Our organization recently started using Alteryx and the workflow that our team follows requires us to convert all blanks to NULL. You have now received your threshold of ten, can we please move this request into the queue? Thanks!

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes