The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Dashing Detour in Designer

@RithiS ,

I'm a fan of using DETOUR tools in Alteryx.  I often place "test" code into a standard workflow and opt to use it or not based upon a detour.  The challenge is that adding a detour and detour end invariably leads to having to re-route connectors (default of adding tools is to connect to the left).  Here's a picture:

capture.png

What I'd like to do is SELECT the tool or tools that I want to connect around (in this case, just the formula tool).  I'd like to right-click and DETOUR.  The detour and detour end would be added (putting the selected tools in the path of the RIGHT option.  This would greatly speed up the tool configuration process.

If you want to go for extra credit, you could modify the GUI to express which direction a detour is travelling in a standard workflow (e.g. make connections wireless or dashed when not selected).

Cheers,

Mark

@Claje @Hollingsworth @SeanAdams 

5 Comments
Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

I agree and would extend and say that the 'do some action with the currently selected set of tools' is a process that deserves more attention. I haven't installed a recent version that has the 'turn all of the selected tools into a macro' yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Samanthaj_hughes
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think this is a great step towards helping those who also test/dev using the Alteryx platform.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for this idea! You all make very good points about users who test/ dev and how "'do some action with the currently selected set of tools' is a process that deserves more attention."  We're happy to pass this along when the necessary criteria are met.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Could we add a conditional detour so that the condition is built into the detour tool, instead of having to be applied from outside?

For example - go left if there's zero rows - go right if there's more than zero.

That would dramatically simplify canvas creation, and make the detour tool MUCH richer.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes